Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Havana to Barbados


Rick and I went out early to find the art shop again, and Suzie stayed behind to pack her bags.  Naturally I took my camera with me to record what I saw.  Firstly, Cuba does not have a very reliable inernet.  In fact,very few places have it. But where there is some, you'll find locals and tourists all lined up against the wall using it for as long as they can. We had some in our hotel but it was pricey and only for an hour....


I came across the local butcher...


The streets were pretty quiet at this time of the morning.





We headed to the airport and got there in plenty of time.  I desperately needed to use the toilet, but all water and toilets were out of order, toilets blocked up, and I couldn't bring myself to use it.  Instead, I waited until the plane had taken off and I hightailed it to the bathroom on the plane.

To get to Barbados we had to fly into Florida first, then sit around the airport for a number of hours, before catching our 3 hour flight to Barbados. Our plane was delayed for some time as well which was annoying. Coming into Florida was quite pretty...



Flying over the Carribean was also very pretty - I remembered the flight on the way in 38 years ago - little islands dotting the blue sea with white sandy beaches. Some deserted, some inhabited.


Sun set on our flight over. We didn't arrive until nearly 11pm.  Suzie and I both burst into tears when we got off the plane, and we were both very surprised at the strength of our emotion when we arrived.



We picked up our rental car and drove to our Airbnb. We got lost several times. I thought I knew how to get there, but was surprised at how lost we got.  Barbados had got slightly bigger, and the roads were quite confusing.  You can't rely on a memory 38 years ago to get you straight to your destination!!

We settled into the airbnb accommodation - and then headed to bed.

No comments: