Sunday, October 30, 2011

Amsterdam - Exploring Arnhem

Anne had to work today, and she starts early, so I got up with her and caught the same train.  Instead of getting off, I went on to Arnhem where I had arranged to meet Arthur, another SWC member I've known for many many years.  Unfortunately, when I got off the train, I went in the opposite direction, and of course Arthur was no where to be seen.  After shivering in the cold for 20 minutes, it occured to me to look at the information map outside the station, and it was then I realised that there was 'another way out', so doubled back and finally found Arthur.  He said I was easy to spot because of the confused look on my face!!!

We proceeded to Burgers Zoo in Arnhem.  The drive there was really pretty - lots of forest and trees - it was really stunning with the autumn colours too!

Arnhem zoo had a few animals that we don't get in Auckland zoo.  Unfortunately my foot was incredibly sore that day so I was struggling a bit, but I did get some photos...  The penguins...

A totally mad deranged bear that kept attacking this fire hose, then biting himself.  Probably a sign of boredom...

 The Sumatran Tiger...
 Vultures - which I had never seen before...
 They had an underwater world as well which was really interesting and very well done...
 And hte penguin again - they were the first (and last) exhibit at the entry/exit!!!
 We then went to the Open air Museum which was right next door and I got to see... Windmills!!


 I also found out that in the old houses, bedroooms were in a cupboard (built in)!!!
 An old dutch village...
Arthur then drove me back to Anne's work in  Ultrecht.  As I had no cellphone, Anne thought I may have been lost in Holland somewhere not knowing if Arthur was going to be there or not.  We didn't set Anne's mind at rest until 3pm!!!  We arranged to get online with Arthur later to plan our next few days and said bye, then Anne took me around her work showing me where she worked in the lab.  It was great to meet the people she worked with and to be able to visualise where she is.

Afterwards she took me to this great place by the canal in Utrecht, that does the proper dutch pancakes!  They were delicious!  I had ham cheese and pineapple, and on the other half a fruit one - but can't remember what I had now.  I know I had a white beer which was divine.  Perhaps that is why I can't remember!!!
We wandered around Utrecht, then caught the metro to the main station.  Anne then showed me the tram system so I would know how to get back to where I needed to go tomorrow.

No comments: