Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Special - Very Special - Save $$$

I was at Woolworths Northcote today doing my bi monthly grocery shop. Stopped in the meat section to get some chicken to stirfry up for dinner tonight.

I was attracted to the bright yellow SPECIAL stickers on the meat packs because I'm always looking out for ways to save money.

But hangon... Something not quite right....



I know people are suffering in the recession, but... 1 cent? Every single pack showed either 1 or 2c savings. That's it.

And there were some that were $4.57 down form $4.58. If you paid cash - then swedish rounding would mean you ended up losing any savings you make and paying more!

Unbelievable. I do question that they are breaking laws here in New Zealand for misleading advertising.

I did point it out to the butchery manager of the store. He didn't have a reasonable explanation. I then spoke to the Manager. They've taken my name and cellphone number and will get back to me. I will be very interested in what they have to say!!

8 comments:

Christopher Lehfeldt said...

Swedish rounding? That's a new one for me. Where did this neologism come from? Did Swedish people emigrate to NZ?

Robyn said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_rounding


Here you are - courtesy of wikipedia for swedish rounding :)

kim said...

Yeah-- that's pretty sneaky if they're doing it on purpose. I question that the butcher, "didn't know anything about it." Good eye Robyn. I wonder how many were fooled!

Morgan said...

My God! That is pretty mean. You would think the butchery manager would know the reason too! You're very observant. I think many people would not notice. Maybe a staff member did it as a joke?

Sam said...

hmmm- that's definitely not what a call a special!!! I do wonder how many people rush around grabbing specials only to find that they haven't actually paid attention and are paying MORE money!!

Rachel @ Cochlear Implant Online said...

That reminds me of my local supermarket... They will advertise for breads by saying "Buy 2 for 3 dollars!" I'm not saving anything as even if I brought one bread, it would cost me $1.50. LOL. I hope that the store will take this seriously. And...I can't wait to hear from ACC in two days?!

Charlotte said...

I have good eye for stupid supermarkets too!!, Like rachel C had said about the bread, I saw 4 pack yoghurt for £1.49 and they offered 2 for £3... u do the maths! Yes £2.48 for 2!!!! I questioned it to the manager... should have seen his shame! I had bought them once, checked the reciept.. yep they still charged me £3.. i questioned it again to the Cashier... another embarassed look! I got my 2 p back.... I need to save every penny with the recession going on!

Charlotte said...

Meant to be £2.98 not £2.48!! sorry!!