Well - we've finally found the problem to why my impalnt has been going backwards, not forwards. About two weeks ago I asked the Implant Team for an x-ray to see if the electrodes were still in the same place. I remember reading some time ago of someone having this problem, and so wondered if I had this as well. My specialist sent me the form and I had the x-ray two weeks ago.
On Friday I was back at the implant centre and a further 5 electrodes were switched off, due to them being uncomfortable, painful and not enough volume. I have 8 electrodes functioning, 6 very well, 2 still a bit iffy.
On getting home, I emailed my doctor that information and asked him if he had any feedback from the x-ray. He emailed back and said that the electrodes had indeed come out of the cochlear by a couple of millimeters, and this is why I'm having so many problems. I am now awaiting an appointment to see what will happen next, but I would say that I will no dubt have some revision surgery to replace the electrodes back into the cochlear.
I feel so much happier now that I know what is happening, although not so happy that further surgery is required, but I would rather get the electrodes working and be hearing better, than to keep struggling with what I have.
I'm off to Blenheim - the Upper north of our South Island for a week, to the Marlborough Garden Festival, to take lots of photos - I'll be back in a week and hopefully have an appointment with my surgeon the week I get back.
Watch this space...